Monday, June 07, 2010

You're vintage, Brother!

Long time no blog! Why? I was in Los Angeles on a business-turned-pleasure trip. Despite being filmed, overeating, and having an entourage, the only pics I have are of my husband and I at the Observatory. Complete geekery at its finest!

 Above: At the Observatory

In other news, I finally found a sewing machine that fits my criteria 100%. I wanted one that was all-metal construction and capable of a zigzag stitch. Sounds simple to find? Hardly! They don't make all-metal machines anymore (at a reasonable price). Voila! Here it is!

 Above: You're vintage, Brother!

This thing is heavy! It's a vintage Japanese sewing machine. Quite the sexy beast! How much did it cost? Free! Craiglist is awesome. It's missing a motor, and I need to replace the needleplate (because I do not like the one on the machine currently), a lightbulb, and this rubber ring that touches the control wheel.

I've found the needleplate online. I suspect any ol' sewing motor will do. The motor sits external to the machine, which makes my life easier, I suppose. I spent many hours of my day googling for information about this machine.

This is what I know...

*It's a Brother, Model 280
*Made in Japan
*has J C 1 imprinted on the bottom of the machine

None of this information was found via Google. *head to desk* However, I did join a Yahoo Group "Japanese Vintage Sewing Machines". Apparently, there's a lot of history to this machine, but I still feel as though I don't know much.

Well keep you posted on how the repairs go!

In other news, made Orange Glazed Chicken Curry with Cilantro.

Indeed, I made this Indian dish in a Wok. This suits my marriage perfectly, thankyouverymuch. If you would like the recipe, you can find it here.

Signing off,



Leah said...

Yay for new old machines and cooking Indian food in woks! I will be over for dinner :D

scool said...

I have this same machine it belonged to my great grandmother.

adrian said...

just saw this machine at an indoor flea market, thinking about buying it

blublu said...

It runs like a dream. Also very durable!